Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Renovations on Home #2

Hello!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I had intended to write a large post detailing my impending disconnect from the online world before I left to spend a few weeks with Jerry.  The post didn't happen because, in a cruel twist of fate, the internet connection at my house was down the day before I left.  You see, the house we bought in The Middle of Nowhere is the definition of roughing it.  No internet.  No cable television.  No washer and dryer.  Yet, anyway.  The thing is, all our stuff is still at home with me and the Kiddo 600 miles away.  The house we purchased is in dire need of a renovation  (You will recall this post).  Since Jerry has a few friends from back home staying and working with him over here while I finish up school, the house is an obvious guy hole.  My scalp started itching as soon as I saw the kitchen...it needed cleaned.  

More evidence that the house is not suited for female occupancy just yet....the toilets.  The toilet in Bathroom #1 runs constantly.  No one thinks this is a problem.  If I close my eyes I can almost pretend it is a table top fountain with pretty smooth rocks.  The toilet in Bathroom #2 only flushes halfheartedly.  You never really know what's gonna go down and what's gonna stay.  Neither toilet sits on level flooring because the previous owners let the wood rot.  They said the toilets had "always been like that."  Umm.... My charming guy acknowledges that the toilets are a problem but seems to have no actual plan of action for fixing them other than running a snake down both lines to ensure there is no obstruction.  Oh and he did replace the flooring around the toilets, too.  My first action as woman of the house was to march him to the local hardware store and purchase two shiny new toilets.  I would also like to note that I paid nearly twice what I would've paid at a Home Depot or Lowe's for these little gems.  My gosh I miss chain stores.  But I am thrilled to say the toilets behave appropriately now.

Our progress on the house so far.  Floors relaid with new wood throughout the entire house. Toilets replaced. Sections of wall that previously sported a faux brick appearance have now been refurbished with old barn wood.  It is quite an improvement.  And my personal favorite....cable and internet services hooked up, though not without a two week waiting period between sign-up and installation.  Thus my extended absence from the blogging world.  Oh well, it's a distant memory now. I've been lazy about painting while here so I only have a couple more days to get a few things done before the Kiddo and I have to head back.  Classes start in a little over a week for me.

I will readily admit to spending most of today cuddled up in bed under the new handmade quilt I got from my mother-in-law for Christmas eating chocolates and over-indulging on internet.  I was right.  I can't live without the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment